This location - situated opposite the village of Oosterbeek - played an important role in both the Polish troops' attempts to reach the British in Oosterbeek and during the withdrawal of the British soldiers from Oosterbeek in the night of 25/26 September.
Around this location, Polish troops attempted to reach the British in Oosterbeek. As the Driel ferry had disappeared, the Poles had to look for boats to cross the river. The first night they did not succeed, but during the second night, 52 Poles reached the other side with the help of inflatable boats. During the third night, 153 Poles managed to reach the other side with the help of boats that had been brought in. This is the same location as where the British and Poles crossed the Rhine in their retreat from Oosterbeek on the night of 25 to 26 September.
Carousel, use arrow keys to navigate.
Remains of the house on the dike where the Polish soldiers established a company headquarters from which the crossing attempts were coordinated. © Via particuliere collectie
A British paratrooper (as seen from behind), who crossed the river, consults with Polish paratroopers. © Sikorski Institute, gebruiksrechten bij Stichting Driel Polen
Aerial photograph of Driel from 1944: (1) Company headquarters, (2)Old Church in Oosterbeek, (3) Farmhouse de Nevel, (4) Rhine river and crossing area. © Dotka Data BV 2020
Monument for the Canadian and British Engineers who supported the retreating troops from Oosterbeek during the night of 25 to 26 September. © Stichting Driel Polen - Foto Thijs de Jong
The current situation, with the house that replaced the destroyed one after the war. © Stichting Driel Polen - Foto Thijs de Jong